Thursday, October 18, 2007

2 to 3 years experience required

As a recent college graduate with no internship experience or office experience I assumed that once I hit the job market I would be looking for "entry-level" jobs. It only made sense. Me being someone that wanted enter into the corporate world at an entry-level position. As I hit the job boards however, I found that "entry-level" actually means you need 2 to 3 years of experience. Am I the only one that this doesn't make sense to? Was I lied to as a child? Under this logic, any job can be an "entry level" job. I don't feel like I'm making any sense except to me, so here are a few examples that I came across that sparked this post.

Job Title: Receptionist
Job Responsibilities:
Answer and direct all incoming calls in a timely and courteous manner
Welcome all visitors in a courteous manner
Administer the conference room schedule of 12 conference rooms
Process food/catering requests and place orders with contract vendors
Qualifications: Strong customer service skills and TWO YEARS experience.
Source: http://www.forrestsolutions.com/careers/jobs.shtml#accounting-office-support

Thats right ladies and gentlemen, you need to have been in the corporate world for two years to be qualified to answer phones, welcome people, and accept an order of general Tso's chicken for Ted from marketing. I can easily see this as an entry level position, a place to learn about a company before they move you to a position with more responsibility, but the fact that they require you to be working for two years and still call this "entry-level" is, well, just wrong.

Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Job Responsibilities:
General administrative duties (filing, faxing)
Maintain calendars
Handling high volume of phone calls internal and external
Coordinate travel arrangements
Process Travel and Expense reports Qualifications: Strong attention to detail, strong computer skills, 3 years experience, bachelors degree.
Source: http://www.careerbuilder.com

3 years? I think they're just messing with us. They're clever at the wording, but once again, this position is no more than filing, faxing, copying, and scheduling business trips but making sure no one has to pay for them. No one needs 3 years of corporate experience to do this job. I could have done it before college. Hell, I could have done it when I finished my computers class in 8th grade.

So companies want to make sure they have qualified people working their positions. Isn't that what the interview and first few months of employment are for? I seriously question whether anyone who has worked in finance for 3 years (the area that the second job was looking for) would ever take that job. Maybe this whole world works a lot differently than I thought. But every single "entry-level" job requires two to three years experience. And more pertinent to my situation, how the hell do you start out?

No comments: